MISSION OF THE FREDERICTON AMATEUR RADIO CLUB
FARC ‘s mission is to promote and encourage the art and science of Amateur Radio communications. FARC does this by:
- holding regular meetings,
- sponsoring a course to help newcomers earn their Amateur Radio licenses,
- offering licensing examinations and
- using Amateur Radio to assist with public events in the greater Fredericton area.
FARC operates FM repeaters on the 144 and 432MHz Amateur bands. FARC also organizes local Radio Amateurs to help with public safety communications in times of emergency.
WHO IS FARC?
The Fredericton Amateur Radio Club is an association open to everyone with an interest in Amateur Radio. Most of our members are licensed Radio Amateurs, and the rest aspire to pass the exams to earn their licenses. We have approximately fifty members.
We hold two meetings most months:
- On the second Monday of each month from September through June, we have a meeting featuring a presentation or seminar on a technical or operational matter related to Amateur Radio. This meeting also includes exchanges of information and business matters of FARC.
- On the last Saturday of each month, we have breakfast in a local restaurant for an informal chat.
Everyone is welcome to attend our meetings, whether you’re a club member, just curious, or just visiting the area.
Our members come from the Greater Fredericton Area, and range in age and experience from university students to retired people, from those aspiring to become hams, to the newly-licensed, and old timers with a half-century or more experience in Amateur Radio.
Hams and Eggs
It’s the first Hams & Eggs breakfast for the fall season. We meet at 8:00 am at the Ramada Courtyard Restaurant, 480 Riverside Drive, on the last Saturday of each month. That’s this coming Saturday, September 28. Come and meet some of the other Fredericton area hams!
PLEASE, if you are planning to attend, reply to John DeDourek (firstname.lastname@example.org) so that he can supply the restaurant with a reasonable estimate of the number of seats to reserve.
The Fredericton Amateur Radio Club October meeting will take place on Monday, October 14, from 7:00 to 9:00 pm at the Board Room of the Victoria Health Centre, 65 Brunswick Street. It was
decided at the September meeting that the meeting would be held as scheduled even though this is Thanksgiving Monday.
The agenda for the meeting can be found here.
The minutes of the previous meeting can be found here.
Get your Basic Amateur Radio License – Course
Would you like to…
- communicate with people around the world without the use of phones or the Internet?
- experiment with electronics and radio communications?
- interface radio transmitters with your computer?
- serve your community at public events or during serious emergency situations?
- talk to astronauts aboard the International Space Station, or communicate through satellites?
- develop new relationships and learn what is going on around world through the airwaves?
If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, then Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) may be for you!
From Tuesday 17 September through Tuesday 26 November 2019, the Fredericton Amateur Radio Club will run a course to help you earn your Amateur Radio licence.
Classes will run Tuesday evenings from 6:30pm to 9:30pm. The language of instruction will be English.
The cost is $120. This includes:
- all classroom instruction;
- all required study materials;
- a one-year membership in the Fredericton Amateur Radio Club (FARC) (http://www.ve9nd.ca) ; and
- FARC’s accredited Examiners will administer the examination for the Basic Certificate of Proficiency in Amateur Radio, the essential requirement to hold a call sign and get on the air.
The Examination will be held on Tuesday 3, December 2019.
If you already own the study guide, the course fee will be only $60.
Successful candidates will earn a licence to operate their own Amateur Radio station, and they will receive a free one-year membership in the Radio Amateurs of Canada (http://wp.rac.ca).
Your instructors are a team of experienced, knowledgeable Radio Amateurs who are very keen to help you get a good start in the fascinating, diverse world of Amateur Radio.
Registration will be on Monday, 9 September 2019 at 7pm. Come to the Boardroom of the Victoria Health Centre, 65 Brunswick Street, Fredericton NB. You can also register and pay in advance for the course.
For more info, Please contact Dave Goodwin VE9CB at (506) 440-1787 or email@example.com .
Real-time DX Contacts